Skip to Main Content

Homes and Community Renewal

Rent Administration Home Page

About Us

Rent Registration

Online Services


Public Hearings

Fact Sheets & Other Publications

J51 Registration and Rent Revision Initiative

Guidelines for Requests for Records

Office of Rent Administration Request for Records Access

ORA is the custodian of records for apartments subject to rent control and rent stabilization. These records include copies of orders, case files, rent control - MBR, Fuel and registration cards and rent stabilized rent registration filings. In general, these records can be accessed by the subject tenant or owner of record, or their authorized representative, as of right. Therefore, it is not necessary for the requester to cite the FOIL statute when requesting records access and the requester may file a Request for Records Access by email to: or may submit this form to:

Office of Rent Administration
Records Access Unit Gertz Plaza
92-31 Union Hall St., 6th Floor
Jamaica, NY 11433

ORA will accept requests for records if the identity of the requester is currently on file with ORA's database or if sufficient proof of identity is attached, such as a lease or rent receipt for tenants and a deed or tax bill for owners.

ORA may reject the request if it is determined that the requester needs to attach additional proof of identity and/or authorization to prevent an unwarranted invasion of personal privacy or the improper disclosure of confidential information.

Requesters, whose requests are rejected, will be notified and advised of their right to resubmit their requests on form REC-1 or by email to, with additional proof of identity and/or authorization attached.

ORA, to the extent practicable, will respond to these requests by attaching the requested records to an email that will be sent to the email address provided by the requester. In those instances where the records cannot be provided via email, the requester will be advised of the cost of providing the records in an appropriate format and records will be mailed to the address provided by the requester or reviewed/delivered at a DHCR office.

Requests that are not submitted by the tenant or owner of record or their authorized representative are required to be submitted as FOIL requests. The requester may submit a letter that describes in sufficient detail the records sought. Those requests can be submitted via email to or by U.S. Mail to:

NYS Homes and Community Renewal
FOIL Officer
641 Lexington Avenue
New York, New York 10022

Instructions – for completing form REC-1

Sections 1, 2, and 3 of this form must be completed by the requester. Select only one category from Sections 4 through 7. Date and sign the request form.

Identification and Supporting Documentation

  1. Tenant - attach proof of identity and proof of occupancy:
    1. For Rent Stabilized Apartment(s) - copy of lease, rent receipt or rent bill.
    2. For Rent Controlled Apartment(s) - copy of utility bill, rent receipt or rent bill.
  1. Owners - attach proof of ownership (copy of deed or tax bill).
  2. Representatives must attach (a) authorization from parties represented; or (b) Power of Attorney; and

(c) additional verification as requested above.

  1. Prospective buyers must attach (a) proof of ownership as above, and (b) a detailed letter from the owner identifying prospective buyer and authorizing the review of the requested records.


When records cannot be transmitted electronically, fees for reproduction of standard size paper are .25 cents per page. The fees must be paid by check or money order, payable to DHCR. Cash will not be accepted.

You may wish to use a form (available in Word) that has been developed by the NYS Department of State Committee on Open Government

Committee on Open Government
Subject Matter Records List
FOIL regulations for HCR
Records Retention and Disposition Schedule for New York State Government Records
Download a copy of form REC-1