Office of Rent Administration
Recently revised forms and information:
On June 27th 2016, the HCR FOIL page will be updated to include new information, procedures, forms and email addresses.
At that time, please check this page carefully and follow the instructions being given. If you work for an organization that has multiple users of this material, please share this information with them.
On June 27th, please also check our website for the following:
- The ORAFOIL email address will be disabled. Please send all Request for Records Access to ORArecords@nyshcr.org.
- The Request for Records Access form has been updated . Please see form REC-1 (6/16). The previous form (FOIL-1) will no longer be in use.
- Please review this new document -Operational Bulletin 2016-02 /Procedures for Requests for Records Access, Freedom of Information Law (FOIL) Requests and Subpoenas. The previous Operational Bulletin ( 93-1) will no longer be in use.
- HCR has issued Operational Bulletin 2016-1- Individual Apartment Improvements that addresses topics such as proof of payment, lump sum costs, useful life, identity of interest, cash payment and qualifying improvements.
- HCR has developed a J-51 Rent Registration Initiative FAQ to provide more detailed guidance to owners and tenants and further clarify rights and responsibilities associated with this initiative.
- The Rent Registration Unit (formerly known as the Processing Services Unit) has been relocated to DHCR/ ORA 92- 31 Union Hall Street, Jamaica NY 11433.
Our Core Case Processing
- In May, the Office of Rent Administration issued:
- 62 Rent Overcharge Orders establishing legal rents and directing refunds in excess of $331,000
- 39 Lease Renewal Orders directing the issuance or correction of a lease renewal
- 147 Decrease in Services Orders directing that repairs be made and rents lowered until such time that repairs are made
- 120 Major Capital Improvement Orders for the installation of new items such as boilers, windows and roofs valued in excess of $15,261,000 benefiting over 4,900 apartments
- 98 building owners received technical assistance with online filings at the Borough/District Rent Offices and over 12,000 tenants and owners were given access to records, applications and information at these offices and by contacting the Info Line
Rent Registration and Rent Increases