Skip to Main Content

Homes and Community Renewal

Eligible Communities

Every year 70% of the funds appropriated for the Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) program are allocated to entitlement jurisdictions. The remaining 30% of the annual CDBG appropriation is distributed to the New York State CDBG Program, administered by the Office of Community Renewal.

Eligible applicants for the New York State CDBG program are cities, towns, and villages with a population under 50,000, and counties with an un-incorporated population under 200,000. These eligible applicants are considered non-entitlement communities and if awarded, would receive their CDBG funds directly from the state administered CDBG Program.

Units of general local government that are metropolitan cities or are part of an Urban County Consortium are not eligible applicants for the CDBG program. They are considered entitlement communities, which receive an allocation of CDBG funds directly from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development and are not listed as an eligible community for the New York State CDBG Program.


Eligible Communities by County

Last Updated: 07/31/15