Skip to Main Content

Homes and Community Renewal

Nursing Home Transition and Diversion Housing Subsidy Program - Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

What is the Nursing Home Transition and Diversion (NHTD) Medicaid Waiver?
The Nursing Home Transition and Diversion (NHTD) Medicaid Waiver is one of the options available to New Yorkers with disabilities and seniors so they may receive services in the community rather than in a nursing home.

How do I access the Nursing Home Transition and Diversion (NHTD) Medicaid Waiver?
Interested parties must contact the local Regional Resource Development Centers (RRDC) who will conduct an intake and determine eligibility.

What is an RRDC?
The NHTD waiver is administered through a network of Regional Resource Development Centers (RRDC), each covering specific counties throughout the State. The contact person at the RRDC is the Regional Resource Development Specialist (RRDS). Additionally, the RRDC employs a Nurse Evaluator (NE).

What does an RRDS do?
Some of the responsibilities of the RRDS include:

What is the NHTD Housing Subsidy Program?
The NHTD Housing Subsidy program was started to assist NHTD waiver participants with financial assistance with their housing needs. It was recognized that participants need help securing affordable and accessible housing to enable them to return to or remain in the community with the support of other waiver services.

What is the role of the Local Administrator (LA) in the NHTD Housing Subsidy Program?
The role of the LA is to assist the Service Coordinator and NHTD waiver participant with housing issues in its designated local area of operation.
For further guidance please see the NHTD Housing Subsidy program guide.

What is a Service Coordinator (SC)?
The SC assists with the development and implementation of a person-centered individualized Service Plan that will lead to the waiver participant's independence, integration into the community, as well as assure his/her health and welfare. The SC works with the participant to find and secure housing. The SC is responsible for helping the participant with all necessary housing related forms.

What are the eligibility criteria to be a participant of the NHTD waiver?

How does someone become eligible for the NHTD Housing Subsidy Program?
Only a NHTD participant can be considered for the NHTD Housing Subsidy program.

There are no income thresholds for participation in the NHTD Housing Subsidy program, however the entire household's combined income will be used to calculate the tenant portion of payments.

What kind of place can be rented through the NHTD Housing Subsidy?
A house, manufactured house or apartment can be rented through the NHTD Housing Subsidy. Rentals must have their own entrance, bathroom, kitchen and living space. This subsidy does not assist with mortgage payments.

Rent + Utilities for NHTD subsidy assisted units must be below the area Payment Standards. Payment Standards are within 90-110% of HUD Fair Market Rent [FMR] for your area FMR visit:

For further guidance please see the NHTD Housing Subsidy program guide.

For assistance locating accessible, affordable housing visit:

What if the place someone wants to rent needs to be adapted [ex. A ramp put in, doorway widened] so that person can live there?
Environmental Modifications (E-mods) Services is a waiver service that can be utilized to make adaptations to where the participant wants to live. Both internal and external physical adaptations to the home can be made to assure the waiver participant's health and welfare in that setting. E-mods may be made to a residence owned by the participant or to rental units with permission received from the landlord.

Modifications made also be made using DHCR's Access to Home Program, these programs may also be combined to complete adaptations to rental units. For further information on Access to Home please see:

Please note: NHTD waiver e-mod cost thresholds must be met prior to utilizing Access to Home program funds.

A Landlord will ask for a security deposit. Can this housing subsidy help with that?
No, the NHTD Housing Subsidy is for rent and utilities only. However, if an individual is transitioning from a nursing home, funds for a security deposit may be available through a NHTD waiver service, called Community Transitional Services.

How can this program help someone who lives in a nursing home out of state, but wants to move home to New York?
All referrals for becoming a NHTD waiver participant are fielded by the RRDS in the area you want to reside in.

Since this subsidy is coming through a section 8 office, does this mean that this is a Section 8 subsidy?
No, this program is funded though the New York State Department of Health only. If you would like to apply for a Section 8/Housing Choice Voucher, you should speak to your local program office.

To find out more about New York State's Nursing Home Transition and Diversion Waiver please visit the NYS Department of Health website at:

To find out more about the Nursing Home Transition and Diversion Housing Subsidy please contact your local office: Statewide Local Authority Listing

Last updated on 03/02/10