Skip to Main Content

Homes and Community Renewal

HCR Celebrates Opening of Historic Muldoon Gardens in Waverly

Commissioner/CEO Darryl C. Towns, Acting Commissioner of the New York State Division on Human Rights/Former New York City Council Member Helen Foster and Archbishop Joseph A. Alexander of New Covenant Christian Ministries
Assistant Commissioner Al Smith (far right) at the opening of Muldoon Gardens in Waverly, NY.

 

HCR joined Home Leasing, LLC, Arbor Housing and Development, Edgemere Development, Inc., Waverly Mayor Dan Leary, and residents recently for a ribbon-cutting ceremony at the Muldoon Gardens Apartments, formerly the Mary Muldoon Junior and Senior High School in Waverly (Tioga County). Muldoon Gardens received an award of $465,900 from Governor Andrew Cuomo’s Regional Economic Development Council initiative.

Many former students participated in the ceremony, including two residents who attended the school, and HCR Assistant Commissioner Al Smith—also a former student as well as the son of a former school secretary. 

The Mary Muldoon School was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1997 and is listed on a special National Parks Service Registry of “Places Where Women Made History.”  The Mary Muldoon Junior and Senior High School has been an integral part of the history of Waverly and of New York State itself. Mary Muldoon was a teacher, principal and later an administrator in the Waverly school district. She was a strong community leader, but is best known for her efforts to campaign for teacher’s benefits and create a state teacher’s retirement fund. She also incorporated industrial and domestic sciences into the school’s curriculum during a time when such changes to the status quo were frowned upon.

Constructed in 1913, Muldoon Gardens provides 31 affordable housing units for local seniors aged 55 and older.  To retain the historic character and significance, the rehabilitation was completed through guidelines given from the National Park Service and the State Historic Preservation Office. .

 

 

Last Updated: 12/18/13