Skip to Main Content

Homes and Community Renewal

Freedom of Information Law (FOIL) Requests and Office of Rent Administration (ORA) Requests for Records

Obtaining Information from HCR’s website

The information that you seek may be available on the HCR website. If you believe that the information you seek is on this website, but you are having trouble finding it, contact for help.

Office of Rent Administration (“ORA”) Request for Records Access

ORA is the custodian of records for apartments subject to rent control and rent stabilization.  These records include copies of orders, case files, rent control- MBR, fuel and registration cards and rent stabilized rent registration filings. In general, these records can be accessed by the subject tenant or owner of record, or their authorized representative. Therefore, it is not necessary for the requester to cite the FOIL statute when requesting records and the requester may file a Request for Records Access by email to: or may download a copy of form REC-1 and file a paper Request for Records Access by U.S. Mail, with proof of identity and/or authorization attached to:

Office of Rent Administration
Stacey Payton, Records Access Officer
Records Access Unit
92-31 Union Hall Street, 6th Floor
Jamaica, New York 11433

For a full guide to obtaining records from ORA, please click here.

Freedom of Information Law (FOIL)

The Committee on Open Government is responsible for overseeing and advising the public about FOIL, codified as New York Public Officers Law Article 6 (Sections 84-90).  More information about FOIL, and the records that are exempt from disclosure pursuant to Public Officers Law Section 87(2), are available on the Committee on Open Government website.

FOIL Request

A request for records maintained by HCR must be in writing and may be submitted by U.S. mail, electronic mail, through the Open FOIL NY online form, or in-person. . The request should be as specific as possible to assist in locating and gathering records, and providing a response. Requesters should provide a name, e-mail address or mailing address, where applicable. You may wish to use a form (available in Word) that has been developed by the NYS Department of State Committee on Open Government. You can copy the form and paste it into an email or print and mail the form.

Requests via U.S. Mail should be sent to:

NYS Homes and Community Renewal
Valerie Molinaro, FOIL Officer
641 Lexington Avenue
New York, New York 10022

Requests via electronic mail should be sent to:

Request records using the Open FOIL NY online form

Appointment to Inspect Records

If access to records is granted, records may, upon payment of any applicable fee, be inspected or copied by the public at the Records Access Officer's business office. Such records may be inspected or copied every day that HCR is open for business during the hours of 9 a.m. through 12 p.m. and 1 p.m. through 4 p.m. Additionally, the Records Access Officer may, upon request, copy records and submit the same to requesting parties upon payment of any applicable fee.

Requests to make an appointment to inspect records can be made to:

NYS Homes and Community Renewal
Valerie Molinaro, FOIL Officer
641 Lexington Avenue
New York, New York 10022


When records cannot be transmitted electronically, fees for reproduction of standard size paper are 25 cents a page. The fees must be paid by personal check, certified bank check, attorney’s check or money order, payable to DHCR. Cash will not be accepted.

Non-Electronic Responses

In those instances where the records cannot be provided via email, you will be advised of the cost of providing the records in an appropriate format and records will be mailed to the address provided by the requester.

Subject Matter List 

Pursuant to New York Public Officers Law S 87(3)(c),HCR is required to maintain a reasonably detailed current list by subject matter of all records in its possession. This list must be posted on HCR’s website.

Subject Matter Records Lists

FOIL Regulations for HCR

Records Retention and Disposition Schedule for New York State Government Records


Appeals must be made in writing and directed to the attention of the Appeals Officer.

Appeals via U.S. Mail should be sent to:

NYS Homes & Community Renewal
Linda Manley, Appeals Officer
641 Lexington Avenue
New York, NY 10022

Appeals sent via email should be sent to