Welcome to New York State Homes and Community Renewal (HCR)!
New York State Homes and Community Renewal is your statewide housing resource.
The mission of New York State Homes and Community Renewal is to build, preserve and protect affordable housing and home ownership across the state.
New York State Homes and Community Renewal (HCR) preserves housing affordability and works with many private, public and nonprofit sector partners to create inclusive, safe, “green,” and resilient places to live in New York State.
HCR is charged with carrying out the Governor’s $1 billion HOUSE NY plan and by leveraging New York’s federal and state community development resources, creating affordable housing opportunities statewide. HCR programs provide financing to create and preserve multifamily housing; administer programs to improve housing conditions, ensure accessibility, and save energy; provide bonding authority and other resources to facilitate local public improvements and job creation; and help thousands of low- and moderate-income New Yorkers purchase a home.
In New York City and adjacent counties, HCR enforces the State’s Rent Regulation Laws and protects the rights of tenants facing landlord harassment or rent overcharges.
We also fund services for low to middle income households and for special needs populations including veterans, seniors, homeless families, individuals with HIV/AIDS, and at-risk youth. Governor Cuomo committed an additional $486 million to housing in the 2015-2016 budget, $92 million of which is dedicated to Mitchell-Lama preservation.
HCR resources have helped finance over 26,000 affordable housing units since 2011, for moderate and low-income families and vulnerable New Yorkers.
HCR is comprised of five agencies:
- HCR Division of Housing and Community Renewal (DHCR)
The largest employer of the five HCR agencies, DHCR is an executive branch agency responsible for the supervision, maintenance, and development of affordable low-and moderate-income housing in New York State.
- HCR Housing Trust Fund Corporation (HFTC)
HTFC is a public benefit corporation managed by DHCR staff. HTFC has experienced significant staff growth since 2013 with the creation of the Governor’s Office of Storm Recovery (GOSR).
- HCR Housing Finance Agency (HFA)
HFA's mission is to create and preserve high quality affordable multifamily rental housing that serves communities across the State of New York. HFA is the #1 affordable housing issuer in the nation.
- HCR State of New York Mortgage Agency (SONYMA)
Offers five mortgage programs to assist first-time homebuyers with the purchase of a home in New York State.
- HCR Affordable Housing Corporation (AHC)
Creates homeownership opportunities for low- and moderate-income families by providing grants to local governments, not-for-profits, and charitable organizations; thus helping subsidize the cost of newly constructed houses and the renovation of existing housing.
- Economic Opportunity and Partnership Development – Encourages and ensures Minority and Women-Owned Business Enterprises (MWBEs) and Service-Disabled Veteran-Owned Business Enterprises (SDVOBs) participation in all agency contracting opportunities. Also increases minority workforce participation through equal employment opportunity.
- Fair and Equitable Housing Office (FEHO) – Works to ensure New Yorkers have an equal opportunity to live
in housing they desire and can afford regardless of race, color, familiar status, religion, sex, national origin,
marital status, or sexual orientation. Part of the Legal unit.
- Governor’s Office of Faith-Based Community Development – Serves as a liaison between the State and
faith-based groups interested in engaging in community development activities.
- Governor’s Office of Storm Recovery (GOSR) – Leads the State’s recovery efforts from Hurricane Sandy,
Hurricane Irene, and Tropical Storm Lee.
- Intergovernmental Affairs (IGA) – Coordinates HCR’s dealings with federal, state, and local governments to
foster constructive relationships with elected officials and municipalities.
- Internal Audit Group – Provides independent assurance that the organization’s risk management, governance
and internal control processes are operating effectively.
- Internal Control and Risk Monitoring – Coordinates across HCR staff to maintain and strengthen internal
controls that operate effectively and efficiently to mitigate risk.
- Mortgage Insurance Fund Office - Provides insurance on mortgage loans that encourage capital investment by commercial and public lenders.
- Office of Community Renewal (OCR) Office of Community Renewal (OCR) – Manages 18 housing, community and economic development programs including the Affordable Housing Corporation, NYS Community Development Block Grant Program, NY Main Street program, the Neighborhood and Rural Preservation programs, and RESTORE.
- Office of Finance and Development (F&D) Office of Finance and Development (F&D) – Responsible for investing billions of dollars each year to stimulate the development or preservation of affordable rental housing and to help low and moderate income homeowners purchase their first home. The department’s multifamily programs are driven by the Federal and State Low Income Housing Tax Credits, tax exempt bonds, and augmented by an array of State funded programs targeted to a range of housing and community development needs.
- Office of Housing Preservation (OHP) Office of Housing Preservation (OHP) – Operates programs that maintain and enhance existing affordable housing, including public and privately owned, and previously subsidized housing. Includes Asset Management Unit, the Statewide Section 8 Program and Weatherization Assistance Programs.
- Office of Professional Services (OPS) - Includes shared support functions such as Human Resources, Facilities, Procurement, Finance, Information Technology, and corporate compliance functions.
- Office of Rent Administration (ORA) - Administers New York State’s Rent Regulations.
- Office of Policy and Strategic Planning – Oversees initiatives to measure and improve agency performance, enhance service delivery, and provide project management. The office is also responsible for collecting and analyzing housing data, identifying trends, and formulating housing policy.
- Public Information Office – Identifies opportunities to promote agency activities and initiatives, serves as HCR’s liaison with the media, plans and executes public facing events.
- Legal – Provides legal counsel spanning all parts of the agency including transactions, audits, inspections,litigations, rent regulation, legislation, procurement, governance and policy matters.
- Tenant Protection Unit (TPU) – The TPU preserves affordable housing by detecting and curtailing patterns and practices of landlord fraud and harassment through audits, investigations, and impactful legal actions. The TPU also encourages compliance by informing tenants and owners of their rights and responsibilities under the rent regulation laws.
HCR also oversees the Tobacco Settlement Financing Corp. (TSFC), a public benefit corporation of the State of New York. It was created to purchase all or a portion of New York State's share of the Tobacco Settlement Revenues.